Thursday, October 10, 2019
Wedding season is about to kick-off in the South West
Your wedding is an event you will remember for the rest of your life, and you want to make sure it’s something that suits you and your partner as a couple.
Many people dream of a destination wedding for something extra special.
A day or weekend in a beautiful location, with amazing food and wine, and entertainment that suits your personalities. This may mean a party in a barn with shared plates, a band, and a fire pit. While others may prefer a refined affair on the grounds of an iconic winery with wines matched with the food and formal wear a must. Other people still might see their perfect day as a relaxed beach affair, shoes off and hair flowing, surrounded by just a handful of friends and family.
Whatever it is you want, the South West can provide it.
Where should you have your destination wedding in the South West?
There are so many unique locations throughout the region, it really is up to you and what kind of event you’d prefer.
This is one of the world’s greatest wine regions so there are lots of stunning venues to choose from. Consider:
- Aravina Estate, either in the garden, barrel room, or function room. This is a hot favourite so check it out early.
- Happs has a warm, natural setting, and is pet-friendly, but note there is no restaurant on the premises, so you’ll need to hire caterers.
- Leeuwin Estate. Options include their rustic Safari Club, the iconic vineyard, amongst the rolling hills or inside at the art gallery.
- Wills Domain, with its award-winning restaurant, sits in charming Gunyalgup Valley. There are a few different reception options for you.
- Howard Park’s Wine Chapel is cosy and luxurious, with timber feature walls. It’s a great option for smaller weddings too.
Other fabulous locations include:
- The magical and whimsical Margaret River’s Secret Garden.
- Bunkers Beach House, which is perched atop the impossibly beautiful Bunkers Bay.
- On the white sands of Gnarabup Beach and later on the deck of White Elephant Café, which looks down on the beach. Contact Barefoot Beach Weddings.
- The pretty gardens below the iconic Caves House.
- Marrying beneath the huge poplar tree at Old Broadwater Farm in Busselton.
If you want a coastal wedding, Meelup, Eagle Bay and Bunkers Bay are all fantastic options. Read more about wedding themes and locations.
And then stay in a home right on the doorstep of your beachside nuptials.
Bilyarra, Eagle Bay, Sleeps 8 guests
The choice of photographer is one of the most important decisions. This person (or team) will capture your day, your way, and you will have these images to stare at, misty-eyed, in your old age. Therefore it’s important to find someone who shares your vision.
We have written a blog about eight of the best photographers in the region, plus links to their websites and social pages, so you can take a look at their beautiful images.
Wedding event hire companies
There are a few fantastic companies at your fingertips including Empire Events for sophisticated styling, or you can opt for hire equipment and furniture only. There is also Yallingup Event Hire, who can arrange a huge amount of goods for your big day; everything from the cutlery right through to giant white tipis. These tipis are quite the spectacle – nobody will forget your wedding in a hurry!
You don’t have to do it all yourself. Many wineries and other venues have wedding planners to help you navigate the options and to figure out what will suit you and your day best.
If you’d prefer to have someone help you with other factors, such as transport, make-up, and so on, there are several excellent wedding planners we’d recommend. Contact Miriam Avery or South West Event Studio.
There is always something new in wedding-land. For example, cakes! Say goodbye to traditional fruit cake or dense chocolate cake slathered in marzipan. Now we’re seeing ‘naked’ cakes, fresh flowers, asymmetrical decorating, and even dessert tables rather than a whole cake.
According to Rachel Ward, the wedding coordinator at Aravina Estate, the general trends she has seen include marquee events, rustic themes and also minimalist weddings.
We recommend speaking to the venue planners and asking for their advice and what has been a popular trend to give you ideas. However, don’t just go with the latest trend or, likewise, doing what has always been done. Choose something you’re comfortable with and you know suits you both.
Book an inspirational holiday home for your bridal party or as a wedding guest
We welcome many wedding parties to stay in our holiday homes for their destination wedding year after year, but who says it’s only the happy couple who get to treat themselves? Many other of our guests each year are wedding guests. If you’re attending a wedding in the South West, why not stay in one of our homes? Our properties typically sleep between 8 and 12 people, so you can make a weekend of it with your friends and/or family members.
Browse our portfolio to find the perfect luxury holiday home for your wedding night or honeymoon. Or contact our helpful team on (08) 9750 5444 for advice.
You might also like:
Sign up for our newsletter to stay updated on all things Private Properties.