Monday, September 10, 2018
3 Itineraries For Your South-West Holiday
When it comes to the South-West, there’s no shortage of things to do and places to see. From tasting the region’s gourmet produce to exploring its forests and coastline or simply relaxing in your luxury holiday home, the list of options to while the days away is endless.
So how do you pack all that into a few days? We’ve done the legwork for you and come up with a two-day, five-day and 10-day itinerary. Follow it entirely or mix it up and choose how you want to spend your time down south. Alternatively, let us tailor an itinerary specifically to your party through our exclusive concierge service.
2-day South-West Itinerary
- You’re in the South-West, so start your visit touring nearby wineries such as Palmer Wines, Wise Wine, and Happs Wines. More details on organised wine tours are here.
- Book a table outdoors at Eagle Bay Brewing Co for lunch. Afterwards, visit Eagle Bay Olives.
- Spend an afternoon swimming in the pristine waters of Meelup Bay or try your hand at stand-up paddleboarding. Alternatively, swap the beach for a visit to the Cape Naturalise Lighthouse and Sugarloaf Rock.
- Pick up a loaf of freshly baked bread at South-West institution Yallingup Woodfired Bread.
- For dinner, consider a private dining experience and we’ll organise a chef to come to you. If you prefer to dine out, try La Casina for Italian fine dining or Blue Manna Bistro for the ultimate seafood experience.
- Wander around the Dunsborough Central Markets every second and fourth Saturday of the month.
- Visit Ngilgi Cave, near Yallingup. Continue on to picture-perfect Yallingup Beach for a swim. Stop for lunch at Caves House.
- Spend the afternoon enjoying a game of minigolf and an ice cream at Simmos Ice Creamery.
- Watch the sunset before dinner at Lamont’s Smith Beach.
5-day South-West Itinerary
Stay in one of our luxury homes in Margaret River and explore the region from there.
Days 1 & 2
- Head to Gnarabup Beach early for breakfast with a view at the White Elephant Cafe.
- Spend half a day touring nearby wineries such as Voyager Estate, Xanadu Wines and Vasse Felix. More details on wineries and organised wine tours are here. Stop for lunch at Watershed Wines.
- Pick up some gourmet jam, preserves and olive oil at Providore, visit the Margaret River Dairy Company, or take an organised cheese tour. Stop at The Margaret River Chocolate Company, too.
- Bring some nibbles and wine and watch the sunset at Surfers Point in Prevelly.
- For dinner we recommend Morries Anytime and Elkamo tapas bar in the town centre.
- Spend the day exploring Dunsborough, Yallingup and Geographe Bay (see the 2-day itinerary for ideas).
Days 4, 5
- Drive to Augusta, about 30 minutes south of Margaret River.
- Visit the Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse – the tallest lighthouse on the Australian mainland – then explore nearby Jewel Cave, home to the longest straw stalactites of any tourist cave in Australia.
- Stop for lunch at Blue Ocean Fish & Chips before driving through the Boranup Karri Forest.
- Or drive to Hamelin Bay, also 30 minutes south of Margaret River, and see the famed stingrays that like to come near the shore.
- Spend a half-day playing a round of golf at the Margaret River Golf Club, or treat yourself to a pampering at BodyBliss day spa.
10-day South-West and Great Southern Itinerary
- Start your visit to beautiful Geographe Bay at the historic Busselton Jetty, where you can embark on a whale-watching tour or explore the underwater observatory.
- Hang around among the trees of Tuart Forrest with a zip-lining challenge at Forest Adventures.
- Swim in the tranquil waters of Geography Bay.
- Have a BBQ on the Busselton Foreshore or enjoy lunch or dinner at The Goose Bar and Kitchen.
- Spend the day in Dunsborough, Yallingup and Eagle Bay (see the 2-day itinerary for ideas).
Days 3, 4 & 5
- Drive 40 minutes south to Margaret River. Spend three days exploring Margaret River, Prevelly, Hamelin Bay and Augusta (see the 5-day itinerary for suggested ideas).
Days 6, 7
- Travel 320km south-east to Denmark, where two days will give you ample time to explore this charming south-coastal town and its surrounds.
- While here, indulge your inner gourmand with visits to Bartholomews Meadery, Denmark Chocolate Company, Ducketts Mill Winery and Denmark Heritage Cider Company.
- Explore the region’s ancient red tingle forest at the Valley of the Giants Tree Top Walk.
- For lunch you might like The Lakehouse Denmark or Rickety Gate Winery.
- Spend an afternoon swimming in the pristine waters of Greens Pool, then take a short walk to Elephant Rocks.
- Explore the outdoors with a full day walk on the world-renowned Bibbulmun Track.
Days 8, 9, 10
- Drive 57km east to the port town of Albany and take in the sights of Western Australia’s oldest European settlement. [insert link to Top 10 things to do in Albany blog, once uploaded]
- Tour the Historic Whaling Station, walk around the Stirling Terrace precinct, and learn about Australia’s World War I history at the National Anzac Centre.
- Visit Torndirrup National Park and see the Blowholes, The Natural Bridge and The Gap, a 24-metre drop to the sea where the ocean roars up into a large cavern in the rocks. Then make your way to Stony Hill Lookout for 360-degree views of the Southern Ocean.
- Try organic wine at Oranje Tractor Wine or visit the Mount Romance sandalwood factory and take part in a unique deep relaxation session using gongs and sandalwood.
- For lunch or dinner, you might like Due South or Garrison Restaurant & Bar.
Make the most of your South-West getaway with a dream Private Properties home. Browse our list for inspiration.
You might also like
Sign up for our newsletter to stay updated on all things Private Properties.